Thursday, 20 April 2017

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~ Gandhi


Lins over at Boo & Maddie recently wrote this post about going vegan and as so many of her beautifully written words resonated with me, I felt compelled to write a post of my own...
I've been a pescetarian for 21 years, however lately I don't feel as if this is enough, both for my own health and to support our environment. Recently I've cut down my milk and cheese consumption and have upped the number of vegetarian meals Hubs and I eat - we used to eat more meals which contained meat-free alternatives; but I'm not sure how far to go.

I feel as if I’m barely dipping my toe in vegan waters.

You see, there are two things keeping me ashore, preventing me from leaping head first into crystal clear vegan waters - ok, I'll quit with the metaphor now!

Firstly, I love chocolate. No really, I L-O-V-E chocolate; I need a taste every day in order to function. It doesn't need to be a lot: a snack-size bar, a couple of choccy biscuits, Nutella on toast; whatever it may be, I need a taste, even in the run up to my wedding when I was dieting, I factored in the calories (or Weight Watchers Points as that was the diet I was on at the time) for a chocolatey treat each day. How do I overcome this? I've tried replacing my milk chocolate fix with dark and, honestly, it's just not the same.

And secondly, I fear how my husband and family would react to the news I'd given up dairy and fish. Now don't get me wrong, my family and my husband have always been supportive of my choices, but that's just it, they're MY choices and I don't know how to navigate dinners out with my family or Sunday roasts at my parents' house as a vegan.

I think the solution, for now at least, is to keep cutting down on my animal products one step at a time, with the hope that one day I'll feel confident enough to take that final step; either that or I'll reach a point where I feel comfortable and confident in the choices I make, both for my long-term health and my impact on the world in which we live.

If you have any advice for me, please leave me a comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment