Monday, 20 March 2017

styling the seasons: spring

As today is the first official day of spring, warmer temperatures, blue skies and bags of sunshine should now be upon us, or at least more frequent than they have been, and that makes me happy!
With the arrival of this new season, I thought today was the perfect opportunity to share with you my top tips for styling your home for spring...

1 | Fill your home with all the flowers
Although I've had daffodils and tulips in my home since early January, spring is THE time for fresh flowers and growing bulbs; currently I have tulips in the window, cut daffodils in the kitchen, bulb daffodils in the living room and a beautiful hyacinth in the front window. You don't have to limit yourself to flowers though; for a one-of-a-kind floral display, cut off a flowering branch or two from a bush or tree in your garden and place in a vase with water - this is also a cheap way to bring spring into your home.

2 | Change your cushions
Whether they're bright and bold or full of florals, spring is the perfect time to swap out your cushions and/or throws in favour of something lighter, brighter and more in-keeping with the season of new growth and new life. Whatever you choose, make sure the textile is lighter than your winter cushions; go for cotton for a carefree vibe.
 
3 | Rid the house of winter
Put away throws and thick blankets, add spring-inspired artwork to gallery walls and take down those fairy lights that have given your home that hygge glow all winter long. 

4 | A new scent
Now's the time to put away any winter candles you have remaining and replace them with spring scented ones, like this one. The nights will still be dark enough after 7pm-ish to light a candle and, as we all know, spring in Britain doesn't guarantee fine weather so I'm sure there will still be plenty of grey and miserable days for cosying up and lighting candles.

5 | A lick of paint
With longer days and warmer temperatures, spring is also the ideal time to embark upon a decorating project, be it painting an entire room, upcycling an outdated piece of furniture or even freshening up the outside of your home, be it re-staining the decking or painting your garden fence.

Home Etc

Happy Monday!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, lovely to meet you! Some great tips here on refreshing our homes for Spring. I was just thinking yesterday I must put away the fur throws and fairy lights, but I'm finding it hard to! That said, I am enjoying bringing fresh posies in from the garden on a weekly basis to brighten up my windowsills and tabletop. Keira x #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving fresh flowers on every spare surface in my home too, nor am I totally ready to wave bye to winter - I still love the glow of candle light and watching TV snuggled under a throw. Give it a few more weeks though... :) x

      Delete
  2. Flowers are everything right now at home. they make all my rooms so much brighter and happier! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nothing more than introducing spring flowers into our home and three cheers to still being ok for candles!! Thank you for linking up Xx #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so in agreement about filling the house with fresh flowers- nothing makes me feel more spring-like than daffodils and tulips everywhere! #homeetc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daffodils and tulips, my absolute faves! Maybe because I am a spring baby and they remind me of my birthday?! x #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura, lovely tips!! You can't be fresh flowers & the lovely scent of the Spring White Stuff candle - it's my favourite! #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flowers are always a winner and wow I love tulips, so pretty! We are in Autumn here now but it is still really hot. I want to get planting but everything is dry, we need rain. Great tips. #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness that colour yellow is just stunning. I have tulips everywhere in my flat too, they're so cheerful.

    #HomeEtc

    http://www.hellonancy.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete