Wednesday, 15 February 2017

7 ways to add colour to your home

You can transform any room from boring to beautiful with a splash of colour.
The easiest, and cheapest, way to do this is not with paint but with accessories...

1. Cushions - the quickest and easiest way to add colour to your home is with bright and bold cushions on your sofa and/or armchairs. Matalan always have a great inexpensive selection, which means you can follow in my footsteps (much to my husband's dismay) and change your cushions with the seasons to inject a burst of fresh colour every three months :)

2. Trim - while we're on the subject of soft furnishings, a simple way to add colour as well as a personal and unique touch to any colour scheme is by adding a colourful trim to curtains, cushions and throws. This is a particularly good idea if you're slightly scared of colour as it'll enable you to build up your colour confidence with very little effort, or commitment. 

3. Art - whether it's family photos, a favourite poster, painted self-portrait or framed pieces of wallpaper, there are countless ways in add colour to your home by adorning your walls with an array of art. All the art in my home means something to me, because (for me) there's nothing worse than seeing generic art in someone's home; in my opinion, it adds nothing. Your home is yours and only yours and it should give visitors a clue as to the people who live there :)

4. Cookware - the kitchen can be the hardest room in the house to add personality and colour as its often not practical to add colour to such high-traffic areas, but that doesn't mean you can't get creative; invest in colourful cookware and display it around the room, for example: utensil pots, a casserole dish on the hob or teapots and mugs on open shelving.

5. Plants & flowers - whether it's a vase of rainbow tulips, potted daffodils or deep green succulents, there are countless ways to bring s bit of outside in, while also adding a splash of colour. My house currently has a vase of tulips, two pots of potted daffodils, two vases of cut daffodils, a growing hyacinth, an orchid and numerous potted succulents scattered around downstairs because I need some joy and colour in the room during these dark winter days.

6. Customise furniture - last year I jazzed up a boring pine bookcase with Annie Sloan paint and I still can't believe just how simple it is. If you're not keen on painting a piece of furniture you could always change the knobs on a chest of drawers or back the shelves of a sideboard with wallpaper.

7. Quirky touches - whether it's a bright teapot used as a plant pot, a shelf full of your collection of coloured glass or bright dinner plates, or painting each individual spindle on your staircase a different shade, there are numerous ways to add colour to your home in a way that's truly unique to you; just let go and have fun with it. 

Happy Wednesday,

10 comments:

  1. I have a bright orange cast iron pot that I love, it really helps liven up the kitchen. I'm a huge fan of coloured mugs and cookware as you can always hide it away if you want!

    #HomeEct

    http://www.hellonancy.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colourful cookware is the easiest and cheapest way to bring colour into the kitchen for sure! Thanks Nancy :)

      Delete
  2. I always wonder when I see homes which are so neutral how they can do it, I LOVE colour. Thanks for the great tips X #HomeEtc

    http://booandmaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love colour too - and feel constrained in too neutral an environment or even if I wear all of a dark colour (which I don't do very often) and smaller things are a great way to inject some colour and personality. #homeetc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find colour in a modern home SO tough - it seems easier in period properties. I am however trying to add more colour in these days, and in accents :) Thanks for sharing and linking up! #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I totally get that, Jess; I have a new build and have no idea where to start with colour on the walls, hence these easy tips :) x

      Delete
  5. It's so funny — the base of our home has always been very neutral, I'm not a fan of brights on the walls but I LOVE colour through accessories!!! This is such a great post — fab tips :) Cxx #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caro; I think neutral walls makes it easier to add and change colour, which is ideal for me as I love changing accessories with the season! x

      Delete