Friday, 13 January 2017

jobs around the house: January

I've always envied people who always seem to have a clean home.
I have to confess, before Hubs and I moved into our new build in September 2015, our previous home was not clean... tidy yes, but bit clean like I wanted. We'd accumulated so much stuff during our almost eight years living there, I thought we'd run out of room. Truth be told, we just hadn't had a good clear out, nor had we kept on top of essential home owner tasks - you know, the ones no one tells you you need to do but you're expected to know! So when we moved, I adopted the mantra 'a place for everything, everything in its place' and while I may not follow this to the letter 365 days a year, my home is more organised and therefore cleaner than ever before.

So today, I wanted to share with you five jobs you can do this month that'll help you on your way to having that clean, tidy and organised home we all dream of owning...

1. Deep clean the oven
After all the celebrations and festivities of Christmas and New Year, I'm sure your oven is looking a little worse for wear; don't worry. January is the perfect time to give it a longed-for deep clean. There are numerous products out there that should make the job easier, or you could even hire a professional to do the job for you. For around £50, you can have your oven cleaned within an inch of its life, bringing back its sparkle and giving you what looks like a brand new oven!

2. Test your smoke alarm
Owning and maintaining a smoke alarm in your home saves lives; in fact, you're twice as likely to die in a house fire in a home with no smoke alarm than in a home that does have one. So, firstly if you don't have a working smoke alarm fitted, get one this month! If you already have a smoke alarm, you should be testing it monthly - I know, I don't either, so the best advice I've read there is to check it the two times a year when you alter the clocks for Daylight Savings :) You're also supposed to change the battery once a year (unless it’s a ten-year alarm, after which it's advisable to get a whole new alarm), so in-between scrubbing your oven, or making a brew for the professional scrubbing it, why not change the battery and ensure your family are safe.

3. Appliance maintenance
Another job I regularly forget about is cleaning and maintaining my white goods; January is the perfect time to run a cleaning product or natural alternative through your washing machine and your dishwasher. It's also the ideal time to dust the coils at the back of your fridge freezer to help it run more efficiently.

4. Prevent frozen pipes
The cold temperatures of winter can wreak havoc on our homes, so anything you can do to lessen winter's effects will stand you in good stead. The first step is to drain water from outside taps, hoses and sprinkler systems (if you've not done so already); next check water supply pipes in unheated areas such as lofts, basements and garages, as well as under kitchen and bathroom cabinets - pipes in these areas should be insulated with proper products.

5. Declutter & organise 
The arrival of a New Year inspires many of us to have a good clear out and get rid of things that we no longer want, as well as finding places within your home for your Christmas gifts and/or anything your purchased in the January sales! To maintain a tidy, clean and organised home more easily, it's vital to have a specific place for everything.

Home Etc
Life With Munchers

Happy Friday!

6 comments:

  1. I love a good list and January is the perfect time to get stuck into those jobs! #homeetc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky and you're right, January is perfect because the weather is so crappy and everyone is skint following Christmas! x

      Delete
  2. This is fab Laura. A lot of these are really essential but get overlooked, don't they? Particularly things like smoke alarms. I'm on a decluttering mission for spring. I'm such a hoarder, so it won't be easy, but I'm DETERMINED to get rid of stuff we don't use!! #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good decluttering - we did that when we moved but 16 months later and I feel another one brewing! Good luck, Caro x

      Delete
  3. Good luck and same here - so many little things to get done! Thanks for sharing & linking up. Jess xx

    #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess; I'm thrilled to be back linking up with #HomeEtc - it's one of my favourite link ups! x

      Delete