Wednesday, 9 November 2016

autumn food

Now that the clocks have gone back and the nights are well and truly dark and cold, I've been turning to warming and delicious comfort food. As well as the classics, like chilli and jacket potatoes, there are some great dishes out there that are easy to do after a long day at work while still being delicious. I want to share a handful of my favourites with you today...

Prawn Thai Green Curry

Ingredients:
1 tbsp oil - I used rapeseed, but you could use olive or coconut
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
A selection of veggies to suit - I used courgettes, baby corn, mushrooms and peppers
1-2 tbsp Thai green curry paste (add to suit your tastes)
1/2 tin coconut milk
Bag of cooked prawns

Method:
1. Heat the oil in a wok and add the onion and garlic. Stir fry for two minutes then add your veg selection. Stir fry for another two minutes (longer if you don't like crunchy veg in your curry) then add the curry paste and coconut milk; bubble for two minutes. Add 50ml of water, if necessary.
2. Add the prawns and serve with rice a minute or two later.

Southwest Pasta

This one-pot wonder is so quick to make and you can add and remove ingredients from the 'The Wholesome Dish' recipe to suit your tastes. I always use tinned sweetcorn rather than frozen and normal cheddar works fine. This is also a great dish if you're not a fan of 'add this and stir. then add this and stir again' recipes that require lots of work - you literally just put everything in the pot and let it do its thing; you then add the sweetcorn, beans and cheese right at the end - super simple! If you only try one of these recipes, please make it this one; this is my favourite and the one colleagues always comment on when I take leftovers into work  the following day :)

Parmesan Portobello Orzo


Another one-pot dish, this is another recipe I've adapted to suit; I use veggie stock instead of chicken broth and I use a mix of mushrooms, depending on what I have in at the time. This pasta is so unusual, like a combination of rice and pasta, meaning it's not as filling but equally as tasty as pasta!

Fish Curry

This is so quick and sooo tasty! Again I modified the recipe to add in green peppers (gotta get those veggies in where I can) and even using the cheapest fish I could find, it was super tasty; even Tom loved it and he's not a lover of fish!

You can also check out my previously posted step-by-step recipes for:
Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
Vegetarian Chilli Con Carne

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment