Tuesday, 30 August 2016

weekend #35

The last three-day weekend of 2016 was a good one...
...although it didn't feel much like the weekend. After having the past two weeks off work, my weekends and weekdays have merged into one, meaning my weekends haven't felt as rewarding as they usually do. It also means I've not taken as many photos as I normally do, so this post may be a little light on images...

Although it's August, I woke on Saturday to rain, and it seemed to be the theme of the day...

It absolutely hammered it down while Hubs and I were at Costco with his mum and step-dad; it continued to rain when we went to Curry's; and it was still raining when we got home...
So we snuggled down with pizza (plus wedges for Hubs) and watched The Bourne Identity; we recently watched the new Jason Bourne film so have been revisiting the old ones (only those starring Matt Damon though).

On Sunday I got a lay in...

...before tackling some chores, while Tom finished some jobs in the garden, including lining the raised bed he built, along with my dad and brother, last weekend...

I didn't see the point in making a full roast dinner for just us two this week (my parents have gone on holiday), so I did sausages, roast potatoes and lots of veg, followed by a few slices of Soreen (bought from Costco the day before)!

After dinner and another downpour, we decided to walk the two miles to visit Tom's mum...
...where we were treated to a supper of fresh crusty cobs and a home-made trifle. The walk home was nicer because temps had cooled somewhat :) After watching the remakes of 'Are You Being Served' and 'Porridge', we hit the hay.

Unusually for a British Bank Holiday, Monday started sunny and bright!

So after breakfast, we set about sorting out our recently delivered shed; Tom went through all his tools and threw away anything that was broken or worn out...
...while I emptied out our downstairs loo, which hadn't been used as such since the start of spring; we'd been using it as a storage area for anything and everything earmarked for the shed, well now we have a shed, we've got somewhere to put all the junk stuff :) It was so satisfying to get the space back, functioning as it should, so much so that I took some photos and will no doubt share a 'tour' later in the week. 

Once we were looking straight indoors and inside the shed, I made puy lentil bolognaise with pasta for dinner, followed by another fresh fruit salad (I'm addicted) containing melon, strawberries, pineapple and orange. After shaving Hub's head, I loaded the dishwasher and sorted lunches out for the return to work and at 8:30pm we settled down to watch Thor: The Dark World on BBC One, before collapsing into clean sheets about 11pm.

I'm sad that the last long weekend of the year before Christmas is now behind us and I'm so not ready for autumn, although it is my absolute favourite season; it just feels as if summer has flown by this year and I'm not ready to wave goodbye to wearing flip flops, going out without a jacket and eating fresh fruit like it's going out of fashion. Please, September, be kind to us; stay sunny and warm and be the glorious month I know you can be :)


No comments:

Post a Comment