Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Why we bought new

As regular readers will know, Hubs and I recently bought a new build home.
For many years, I said I would never buy a new house; I wanted history, charm and character. I wanted to be able to add my stamp to a piece of history. However, I now realise I should never say never. 

For us, when it came to moving and deciding between old and new, we focused on what we wanted for the future, considered our finances and what they could buy, and weighed up what would be more practical for us, as a couple and if our family grew. All things considered and debated, we agreed that a new build was the obvious choice.

Knowing that new builds are not for everybody, today I wanted to share with you the main reasons we went new...

1) We were able to pick our preferred plot and because we bought off-plan (purchasing a property which has not been built yet), we were able to choose certain fixtures and fittings, such as our kitchen, wet area flooring and bathroom tiles, as well as adding a few 'extras' such as external plug sockets and an extra socket and light in the kitchen (where we knew we wanted to add a breakfast bar). Should we have desired, we could also have added external lights, upgraded the showers, paid for flooring and had the developer's install integrated appliances, such as dishwasher and fridge/freezer.

2) Our new build comes with a ten-year NHBC warranty, which not only means our home has been built to a certain standard, but it is also our builder's responsibility to put right certain damage and defects for the first two years after completion. After that, we are covered for the cost of putting right physical damage in specified areas of our home such as damage to floors, staircases, roofs, drains, windows and doors. We also have access to the NHBC's resolution service and Guarantee should our builder fail to fulfil their responsibilities; the NHBC will complete the work on behalf of our builders, or they'll pay for us to have the work done - hopefully we'll never need to call upon this but it should make our home pretty low maintenance for ten years or so. Not only that but newly build homes are more economical than older homes making them cheaper to run! 

3) I know some people worry about moving into a new and not well-established community, but I can honestly say we've not had any problems. One of our initial 'cons' when deciding between old or new was the prospect of an 'un-established community' but, having lived on a new estate for over six months, I can assure you it's not the problem I initially feared. It's kinda like the first day at uni; everyone is in the same boat, we've all moved in around the same time, so we're establishing a community together. In fact, at Christmas I sent cards to five of our immediate neighbours and received cards back from four :)

4) You say new builds are 'soulless and lacking character' I say they're a 'blank canvas'. New builds don't have several layers of wallpaper lining the walls, they don't have artex ceilings or badly built extensions, so to make them your own, you don't have to fight with years and years of bad DIY before adding your own personality and character to the building. We've been lucky to find a builder who has included high ceilings, large windows and thick skirting boards, therefore (we would argue) we have a great foundation to build on. Not only that, but the room sizes aren't as small as some new builds we've seen previously, namely some we had a nosy around nine years ago - you couldn't swing a cat in those. Downstairs in our home is so spacious and airy; we fall in love daily with the space, and while our bedrooms may be smaller in this house than the last, we literally only sleep there now because we truly do enjoy spending time downstairs in this home.

5) Everywhere is so clean and new :) You don't have to place furniture around carpet stains, you don't have to scrub the kitchen cupboards and you don't have to sanitise the bathroom before using it; it's amazing! It's hugely exciting to own a home that no-one, NO-ONE has ever owned before. You're the first to sleep in the bedroom, the first to make breakfast in the kitchen, the first to relax in the bath and the first to take a dump; it's an amazing feeling :)
Home Etc

And that's why we bought new :)

13 comments:

  1. After living in rental for the past 5 years, I can say we prefer new builds or newer builds. We are currently in an older home (1960's) and there are just so many quirks and strange "upgrades" that I couldn't really imagine buying an older home. You did highlight many of the reasons we prefer new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna; some older houses have had so many DIY 'improvements' that are simply rubbish, don't they - it's so nice to know that we don't have to put things right before decorating or making changes to this house :)

      Delete
  2. It's funny, I've never ever considered the 'lack of community' aspect of new builds before. In fact, I'd have thought it would have been the opposite cos, as you pointed out, everyone's in the same boat and would be keen to get to know their new neighbours! It's almost like you're starting off a brand new community. I think that's lovely :)

    That said, new builds just don't float my boat. I agree that they're a blank canvas but to be honest *any* house is, as long as you've the time and money to spend on making the changes you want. Granted, you don't have to peel off wallpaper or rip things out before you make a start but, for me, all the older properties we've bought have been blank canvasses too. Only with character.

    And by character I don't necessarily mean period features — it's more of a 'feeling' — new builds are lacking in a sort of ambience that older properties have.... I can't quite put my finger on what it is though!! Still, I would never say never!! Particularly as I'd like to build my own house one day!!! That would be brand spanking new!! :) Thanks for linking up Laura x #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get my head around buying a new build home, but I'm so happy we did. It's not just our house but the location that we've fallen in love with - it's changed our lives :)

      Delete
  3. The new build that you bought seems to have so much character already! Many of the ones I see here just seem so mass produced and sometimes have shoddy construction. I love the brick on your house! I just picture it in such a beautiful and peaceful little neighborhood with young and older families mixed together, appreciating their investments in the community they've all joined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Devon; you're not too far off with your image of our growing community :) We really have fallen in love with the location of this house, not just the house itself. We have numerous country walk as close as I imagine the beach and sea is to your gorgeous home :) x

      Delete
  4. Just discovered your blog and love it! Mine is all about how we are doing our 'new build' home up too! Like you I love the charm of old houses but our new build is perfect as it is a blank canvas so we can really turn it into our own space and style. We can also take our time as there's no mad rush to cover up any hideous decor from the previous owners!

    www.numbertwentysix.co.uk

    Kirsty xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you Kirsty; our old house had so many 'bodge jobs' it took twice as long to do anything because you had to put things right before doing the job you wanted to do initially - we gave up in the end. I still love old houses and would love to do one up one day but for right now, new is best for us :) x

      Delete
  5. I completely agree!! I have always said never, and been against them - but I am now in one!!! Love our new house SO much it offers so much space and light. The development is so friendly too. And no DIY is perfect for our busy life. Thanks for linking up - Jess xx

    #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess; I love our large windows which let in so much light; our old house was so dark so this is such a wonderful change :) Our development and the people who've moved in are also really friendly and I love being a stone's throw from fields and a nature reserve :) x

      Delete
  6. My wife and I liked your blog. I was very impressed about your candor on why you bought a new house. We are in the market currently and have some decisions to make. The ten year NHBC warranty is huge as is being able to pick your own land. You have given us a lot to think about, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mattie; good luck with your decision and subsequent move :)

      Delete
  7. My hubby and I also thought we wanted to buy an older home with "character" in the beginning and eventually, like yourself, saw the benefits of buying a new one. I like how you pointed out that new homes are a blank canvas; this is so true! I have never regretted my decision and have loved being able to design our home from the ground-up.

    ReplyDelete