Wednesday, 27 April 2016

a tidy house

I have to confess, I’m not the tidiest of homeowners.
I’ve been known to leave dishes in the sink, nail polish bottles lying all over the house and even hair in the shower plughole (sorry, Tom). Since moving house, I’ve made a conscious effort to keep things tidier, so today I wanted to share with you some of my top tips for keeping the house tidy when it doesn’t come naturally, so you too can be a domestic goddess :)

A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING
This is the biggest one for me and is tied to the common cleanliness tip ‘have less stuff’. When we moved, we seriously de-cluttered – who needs six baking trays and 50 coffee mugs! My aim for this home was to have a place for everything, so that everything could be in its place and I’m sure that’s something every one reading this could take away and apply to their own home. 

NEVER LEAVE A ROOM EMPTY HANDED
This is a tip I’m trying hard to adopt. I’ll scan a room before leaving to see if there’s anything I can take with me into another, be it taking newly bought supplies upstairs to the bathroom or dirty glasses or empty loo rolls downstairs to the kitchen/recycling. This ensures that things are in their rightful room so the five-minute tidy up before bed becomes much easier. 

PUT THINGS BACK AFTER USING THEM
Following on from my first two tips, putting things back in their rightful place ensures the panic-filled, five-minute clean-up before guests arrive (which I recently discovered is actually called a ‘Scurryfunge’) becomes a thing of the past, or at the very least, a lot more manageable.  

KEEP CLEANING SUPPLIES WHERE YOU USE THEM
It’s all well and good keeping a cupboard in your kitchen or utility room stocked with cleaning supplies, but it often means things aren’t on-hand when you need them. Instead why not invest in some pretty storage, be it wicker baskets or stylish drawers, and keep toilet cleaner next to the toilet and cans of polish by your mirror – you’ll find yourself cleaning as you go. 

LEAVE SHOES AT THE DOOR
Shoes track in dirt, stones and god-knows-what from the outside world, so leaving them at the door, in the hallway, ensures their mess is confined to one place, meaning your floors won’t need cleaning as often #score 

 
WIPE DOWN EVERY SURFACE AFTER USE
Hopefully you already wipe up spills as they happen, even when cooking, but wiping surfaces down after using them is another great way to keep things looking tidy. I would also recommend keeping a microfibre cloth handy to dry sinks and stainless steel surfaces to avoid watermarks. 

FILL THE DISHWASHER
Dishwashers are fantastic, because not only do they do the dishes for you, but they’re also great places to hide dirty dishes until you have a full load! 

MAKE YOUR BED
I think, a made bed, even if it’s just straightening the duvet, starts the day right; it says, I’m up and ready to tackle whatever you can throw at me. Plus it’s much more satisfying climbing into a made bed at the end of the day rather than crawling into last night’s mess of sheets and pillows. 

PUT AWAY YOUR CLOTHES
We’ve all done it; we’ve changed into our PJs at the end of a long day and instead of putting clothes back on their hangers, or in the laundry basket, we’ve tossed them onto the floor muttering ‘I’ll deal with those tomorrow’, but this is another lazy trap people fall into. It only takes a few seconds to put your clothes where they belong, be it the laundry or the wardrobe, and you’ll be so thankful you took those extra seconds when you wake up refreshed the following morning. 

DUST AND VACUUM REGULARLY
This is essential, especially when you know that the average human sheds over one million skins cells per hour; combined with airborne dust, this can add up to several pounds of nastiness in rugs, carpets, mattresses and furniture in our home each year. There’s no set rule for how often you should dust/vacuum – I can get away with once a week because there are only two of us and we have no pets – so if you feel the need to vacuum daily, do it; if you’d prefer once or twice a week, do that instead. Find what suits you, and stick to it.
Home Etc

What do you do to keep your home tidy?

15 comments:

  1. Great tips, and what a fab term is 'scurryfunge' - I think we're all guilty of that! I definitely subscribe to making the bed as soon as you get out of it, can't imagine not doing that, but I do find it difficult to put away my clothes - especially now I have a chair in my bedroom, they seem to collect there. Must get rid :) Thanks for great post #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good word, isn't it?! I had to share it :) We used to have a chair in the bedroom in our old house and it became a dumping ground so when we moved, it went to the tip! Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  2. Great tips and exactly what I needed as need to do a massive tidy up tomorrow! argh…. So great to have found your lovely blog via #HomeEtc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Arrww thanks, I hope your massive tidy up wasn't all that bad; thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Such great tips! I am such a tidy person so I love this! I make myself tired from never sitting down but I can't relax unless the house is tidy!!!!! Thanks for linking up - #HomeEtc xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I get older, I find myself taking great joy in having a tidy house, especially a tidy kitchen. I have to be super tired to go to bed with the kitchen untidy these days. x

      Delete
  4. keeping the cleaning supplies where I need them helps so much! I don't love having multiples of some thing but since it works I'll get over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does work and is so much easier than having everything together in one cupboard, plus it'll free up a kitchen or utility cupboard :)

      Delete
  5. What fabulous tips!!!! I love it. Especially a place for everything and never leave a room empty handed. I have a tendency to leave things at the bottom of the stairs to be taken up — I get so cross with myself when I come back down and see that I forgot and they're still sitting there!! And SCURRYFUNGE!!! Who knew there was an actual word for it!! ;) Thanks so much for linking up with us! Caro x #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like to leave things at the bottom of the stairs when tidying but I do take them with me when I go upstairs; although since adopting the 'never leave a room empty handed' mantra, the collection at the bottom of the stairs is significantly smaller :) Thanks Caro.

      Delete
  6. They sound like great tips. I'm with you on the putting things away when you've used them, and so's MOH - it's just he puts things in what seem like random places to me! Which can make it interesting :) #homeetc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha love to see where men put things sometimes; we've been in our new house over 7 months now and Hubs still can't get his head around what's in certain cupboards :)

      Delete
  7. My wife and I are getting ready to move into a new home and these are fantastic tips! I'm going to bookmark the page to show her. We, like you, need a little help in becoming more organized in our lives. We're hoping our new house will help us on that path. Thanks for the tips!

    Bo Tolbert @ HJS Supply Co.

    ReplyDelete