Tuesday, 9 February 2016

transformation Tuesday

Any reader that saw this weekend post or this bedroom tour will know this post has been promised for a few weeks now;
today I'm sharing my bookcase transformation story with you all...

Just before Christmas, I bought a bargain bookcase from my local Gumtree website with the view to jazzing it up with some Annie Sloan paint to suit our bedroom, which has a yellow and grey colour scheme. I've known about Annie Sloan for a while now, but shyed away from using the paints because a) I can just imagine how many pieces of beautiful furniture have been painted, never to be returned to their original glory and b) I was scared and thought that it must be harder than people say. Things are never that easy... but I was wrong. Annie Sloan paints are super easy to work with, and no, I'm not being paid to say that. 

I bought a tin of English Yellow and a tin of Old White, as well as a tin of clear wax and a large flat brush, because I'd read that cheap brushes can lose their bristles and I didn't want furniture covered in shredded bristles.

I decided to paint the outer and the shelves yellow and paint the back and inner white 
and I'm thrilled with how this £40 bookcase turned out...

Before beginning, I washed the bookcase down to remove any grease and grime; this also gave me the perfect opportunity to examine it closer for any areas of flaking varnish or rough patches that may need sanding down – thankfully, there were none.

While the bookcase was drying, I turned my paint tins upside down and left them for an hour to get everything mixed up properly; apparently the pigments can settle at the bottom of the tin, so shaking well, or leaving gravity to do its job is the best way to ensure you get a great mix of paint colour on your brush.

I did find the paint quite thick but I certainly needed two coats. The first was full of brush strokes but apparently this is normal. It took two coats of yellow and two coats of white, which means it took about five days to complete because I had to wash my brush in between colours and coats; I guess I could have bought two brushes but at £8.95 a brush, I’m too tight for that! I worked straight from the tin, and found the paint got thicker the longer it was left open, so on the second coat I decided to put the lid on between brush dips :)
 
When it came to waxing, I used the sleeves of a old t-shirt; the left sleeve to put the wax on and the right sleeve to buff it off. I have to confess, I didn't wax the white paint, because a) I just wanted the project finished and the bookcase out of my kitchen, and b) I figured the shelves would take the brunt of the wear and tear, so they were what I focused on.

I'm thrilled with how it turned out and would (and have already) use Annie Sloan again to transform a piece of furniture...

Have you ever used Annie Sloan paint?

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!!! They used that same paint to redo my dresser just in a different color :-)

    ReplyDelete