Wednesday, 6 January 2016

four

Last Friday marked four years since I started this blog. 
 Four years in which a lot has happened, including two name changes (the blog not me!).
I often wonder what people think when they hear or see that I have a blog. I wonder if they question why I bother? Why would anyone want to read about my life? What makes me think I'm so special? 

Well, it's not about that.

I don't write so other people read. I write for me. I write to write. 

I'm in love with the written word. It enables us to say so much; it enables me to convey what I'm thinking or feeling, and it enables me to make connections with other people, who live thousands of miles from me, who have totally different friends and family, yet we can connect through the words we write about the life events we've experienced and the things we feel.

Starting, and maintaining, this blog has enabled me to:
  • keep a record of my life
  • constantly and consistently write
  • improve my photography
  • make connections with fellow bloggers
  • and it has forced me to get out and do things 
I'm so thankful that I started this blog on 1st January 2012 and that I continued to write once that initial challenge (taking a photo a day for all 366 days of 2012) had ended.  

I love looking back on old posts, seeing what we were up to weeks, months, years ago and seeing how life has changed. I even love looking back on the somewhat boring weekend posts because, in retrospect, they're anything but boring. They're normal, commonplace, but it's the normal, everyday events that we tend to treasure most because they're often spent with our loved ones, our most favourite people in this sea of almost seven billion.

I love that some days are hard when writing for this blog. It forces me to think, to be creative. However, I'm equally as grateful for the days when the words pour out of my fingertips, often littered with typos because my fat fingers can't keep up with my train of thought. 

I love taking photos; that's the whole reason this little blog o' mine started, but I know I could improve. I know I've yet to take the perfect photo. I'm really proud of some and embarrassed by others, yet it's something I thoroughly enjoy, even capturing the little things: my favourite corners of my house, the morning light streaming into my kitchen, autumn leaves under my feet, spring shoots poking through the grass, the reflection of trees in the water, Hubby, my parents' dog, the food I've cooked - the list of things that I enjoy taking photos of is endless.

I may not be Miss Popular, but this ol' blog of mine has brought a number of people into my life; some I've never spoken to directly, others I engage with on a regular basis, and one who I text almost every day. All these people, whether they know it or not, are shaping my world, the person I am today and the person I will be in years to come, just like the people in my 'real life'.

Finally, blogging has helped me to be slightly less of an introvert; it has forced me to get out of the house at a weekend and do something fun, to make memories and generate content for my corner of the blogsphere. Ok, so that last one might not be the best reason to do something, but it's a reason nonetheless and it's given me the perfect excuse to do things I wouldn't normally have done, to remember things in a way I wouldn't normally and to appreciate the time I spend with my hubby, my family, my friends, and even by myself.

What do you love most about blogging?

2 comments:

  1. Happy Blogiversary!! I personally am so glad that you decided to start blogging :-)
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you are too sweet my darlin' :) love you too xx

      Delete