Sunday, 25 October 2015

castle


I've always wanted a home that's a castle; 
not literally, but in the 'Englishman's home is his castle' proverb kinda way. 

Our last home was not a castle. 

However, this small-looking, three-bed new build is now my castle and I am its Queen.

Although we have only lived here for a month, this home is filled with love.

Love is what our old house was lacking in, not between Hubs and I but between us and the brick and mortar; from the damp patches by the conservatory and the unkempt garden to the curling wallpaper on the ceilings (! who does that) and the stains in the living room carpet, it was obvious that we didn't love our old home (the reason for which I wrote about here).

But our new home, this new home is bursting with love. 

In just 30 short days, our home is already filled with memories; I look at the lounge door and remember the stress of moving house and the overwhelming feeling of having everything we owned crammed downstairs  reduce me to tears, I look at our bed and remember lazy weekend mornings and early weekday nights, and I look at the garden, with its tiny patch of turf and endless sea of soil, and I remember the afternoon spent planning what we want to do with our slice of outdoor space (which is surprisingly bigger than our neighbours').

In one month we've already loved this home more than we loved our previous home in the last three years.

Since moving in, we've had flooring laid, bought new furniture and cleaned the kitchen a gazillion times (because, as I've discovered, there's nothing more satisfying than a clean kitchen); our new build is slowly becoming a home...

As you can see, this is where the bulk of our 'crap' is hiding. We don't have any bedroom carpets as yet, because we're waiting for our Master wardrobes to be sorted (they're being extended), so until they're done, there's not much point unpacking everything as it'll only have to be moved again when the carpets are laid!

There's still a way to go; there's photos to go up on the walls, paint choices to mull over and more furniture to buy, but this place really does feel like home, and I can't wait to spend the next decade (and beyond) making more memories here with the man I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment