Thursday, 29 January 2015

Bon's Book Club: January

Happy Thursday, peeps.
Today I'm linking up with the gorgeous Bonnie and her January book club co-host, Casie, to share my thoughts on
Wonder by R.J. Palacio


Goodreads description:
"My name is August. I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.'

Auggie wants to be an ordinary ten-year-old. He does ordinary things - eating ice cream, playing on his Xbox. He feels ordinary - inside. But ordinary kids don't make other ordinary kids run away screaming in playgrounds. Ordinary kids aren't stared at wherever they go.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie has been home-schooled by his parents his whole life. Now, for the first time, he's being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it. All he wants is to be accepted - but can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, underneath it all?"

I originally read this book in February 2013 and loved it, so I was more than happy to re-read it to join in with Bonnie's Book Club. I loved reading about Auggie and his friends that I actually gave the book to two friends and my mum to read; they all loved it too. It's such a quick read that anyone can read it, no matter how pushed for time they are. 

Book Club questions:
+ What did you think of Palacio's style of point of view - switching up who was telling the story so often? What did you like and not like about it?

I liked hearing about events from other people's points of view, especially part two from Auggie's sister, Via. It made me realise how hard it must be to be the 'ordinary' sibling to a child like Auggie. I also like that we start and end the book from Auggie's point of view.

I have to confess, I sobbed at the ending, but they weren't all sad tears. I was sad that I was coming to the end of the book and that Auggie would be leaving me, but I was also crying tears of joy. The ending is so uplifting but so 'normal and ordinary', exactly what Auggie had wanted all his life. 

+ Did you read The Julian chapters?  Did you like them?

I didn't. I bought the book before the Julian chapters were released and I wasn't gonna buy it again just to read them. I'm getting tighter in my old age!

+ Favourite minor character? (Not Auggie)

I have to say, I loved Jack and I loved Via. I loved the way Jack stuck up for Auggie and I loved how fiercely Via wanted to protect her little brother; having a little brother myself, I can relate. 

+ What did Palacio do in telling this story to make it 'real' for you?

Auggie has loving parents, a protective sister and a positive attitude but this story still takes you on an emotional roller-coaster ride, from hilarity to anger to sadness. It shows you that not all kids are nice. It shows you that not all adults are nice. However it does show you that no matter how hard you think you have it, someone always has it worse, and when you think life can't  possibly get any harder or more challenging, sometimes it does. But it gets worse, so that something better can come along - it's a bit like weathering the storm; you can't have a rainbow without the rain! 

+ How did Wonder affect you emotionally?

Wonder stayed with me long after I closed the book. It made me think about others and how I shouldn't judge them so quickly or harshly; they might be going through things I know nothing about so I should be kinder. Being kind to others is the moral of this story and I often think about Auggie and his pals. I'd love a sequel to this book!


Happy Friday-eve!

8 comments:

  1. Didn't you just love Jack? A typical boy's boy, but with a heart of gold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great character! Thanks, Iva x

      Delete
  2. I really loved this book and your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Whitney. Wonder is such a good book; I'm hoping for a sequel! x

      Delete
  3. I loved this book too! I liked the different points of view in the story. I think the theme is made deeper by them.. Be kinder than necessary. Not just to people like August, but to those who goof and do not react properly, or make mistakes, or are sometimes just a jerk. Be kinder than necessary. In Jack's chapter there is that letter from Mr Tushman, he writes "One thing I've learned after beinga middle-school director for twenty years: there are almost always more than two sides to every story." I liked that line so much, and thought it went well with the entire theme of the book. I didn't even realize there WERE Julian papers until I stumbled across this book club today. I'm torn - I don't like the idea of paying an extra $1.99 for them, but I do want to read them. There's another installment coming out on February 10th now too - Pluto, A Wonder Story. My comments are here - https://www.facebook.com/fieldsofheatherblog/posts/1056299051052909

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh thanks for the info about Pluto, Heather! x

      Delete
  4. I agree with your comments about Via's relationship with Auggie. I loved how she protected him and took care of him, while at the same time I appreciated that she expressed her frustration, how she often felt overlooked, that she didn't want her identity to be based on him. One thing I really loved about the book was how it portrayed their family- it wasn't a perfect family, but they were strong and loving. I feel like nowadays so many stories that our written or produced about families show the dysfunction in the family- this is awesome because it is such a strong model of a strong family. Thanks so much for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Bon, it wasn't the perfect family but what family is. To me, that made the book all the more real and relate-able (is that even a word?!)! Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete