Saturday, 25 October 2014

#blogtober14: What's your favourite book?

I know I've not taken part everyday, but I'm loving Blogtober! 

Today, Taylor and Helene are asking us to blog about our favourite book, so I had to join in because, unbelievably to me, there are still people out there who have not read this amazing book...

I first came across To Kill A Mockingbird when I was 15/16 and studying for my GCSEs. To Kill A Mockingbird was on the reading list but because we'd spent too long on another long-forgotten book, we only had time to read excerpts of the book in class; me being me read the whole thing for pleasure and loved every word. 

If you don't know what To Kill A Mockingbird is about, here's the Goodreads' description: 
"The unforgettable novel of a childhood in a sleepy Southern town and the crisis of conscience that rocked it, To Kill A Mockingbird became both an instant best-seller and a critical success when it was first published in 1960. It went on to win the Pulitzer Prize in 1961 and was later made into an Academy Award-winning film, also a classic. Compassionate, dramatic, and deeply moving, To Kill A Mockingbird takes readers to the roots of human behaviour - to innocence and experience, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, humour and pathos."

I'm not even really sure why a story told from the point-of-view of a six-year-old southern girl growing up in the 1930s resonated with a teenage Laura who had spent her whole life in middle England; it doesn't make any sense, but all I know is that I fell in love with that book then and I still love it now. And I'm not the only one - since the original publication in 1960, To Kill A Mockingbird has never been out of print!

With basic central themes of injustice, racism, ignorance, and prejudice - themes that have transcended the decades since it was first published - it's not hard to see why so many people consider To Kill A Mockingbird not only an enjoyable read, but also an influential piece of literature

I know critics of this book think it is naive and idealistic but I think people forget that children are naive and idealistic. I think Atticus teaches his children about bravery and courage and empathy in a way that still resonates with people today; in my opinion, the book's legacy is acceptance and integrity. More of us should be like Atticus Finch.

I was recently lucky enough to see the stage adaptation of Harper Lee's book and it blew my mind.
It was unlike anything I'd ever seen before and it actually made me cry. I would highly recommend
that anyone who has read this book, in fact anyone who hasn't, to see it performed live because
it is a fantastic experience, one that I know I will never forget. 

 Helene in Between
Happy Saturday!
post signature 

2 comments:

  1. Is it bad I haven't read this? It's been on my reading list for ages I just haven't gotten round to reading it yet, I will eventually though! :)
    http://alovetriangle.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I too have yet to read it, but I will!! Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete