Tuesday, 28 October 2014

#blogtober14: Things you're superstitious about

I hate to admit it, but I'm actually a really superstitious person. I know that probably doesn't 
make me sound too intelligent or logical to the sceptics out there, but I can't help it.

 

When I see one magpie, I have to make sure whoever I am will has also seen it 
(one magpie seen by two brings good luck all year throughor, if I'm alone, 
I will salute and say 'good day Mr Magpie' to counteract the bad luck.

I always recite the magpie rhyme when I see a group of them:
one for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl, four for a boy, 
five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told.

I never walk under ladders.

I always pick up any penny I see.

I never put new shoes on a table.

If I give a purse/wallet as a present, I always put some money inside.

I never do laundry on New Year's Day or Good Friday
(it washes someone out of the family).

I knock on wood, or my head, when I'm tempting fate.

Four leaf clovers bring good luck - I once found six in one day!

I never open an umbrella inside the house. 

I believe the old hand rhyme about money:
left to lose, right to receive.

I also believe that if your left ear itches, something is talking lovingly about you, but if your right ear itches, then someone is being mean about or toward you (left for love, right for spite).

When I shiver, someone has just walked, or danced, over my grave.

The number 13 is unlucky.

Spill salt and an argument will soon follow, but throw some of the spilt salt over your left shoulder
(into the face of the devil waiting there) and all will be well.

I throw any money spiders I come across over my left shoulder too. 

I must make a wish on a fallen eyelash; I also make Hubby do this too!

White feathers (that you can't explain, so not those from your pillows) 
mean that a passed loved one is nearby.

Never tell a wish.

And finally, bad things always come in threes.

As you can see, I am quite superstitious.
Do you have any superstitions?
post signature

4 comments:

  1. Bad things definitely always come in threes, and how lucky are you to have found 6 four leaf clovers in one day :O I don't think I have ever found one in my life let alone one day!
    http://alovetriangle.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh you have a lot of superstitions! haha I only know of a few. Never heard of the laundry one, that one is pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have a lot of superstitions! What's up with the new shoes on the table? I have never heard that before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of the money rhyme or doing laundry on New Year's Day or Good Friday; two more to add to my list! I honestly didn't realize how superstitious I was until I was reading these!

    ReplyDelete