Thursday, 2 October 2014

A decade

Ten years ago yesterday, Hubby and I went on our first real date.

Friday October 1st 2004 saw us at the cinema watching 'Wimbledon'. The only other time we'd spent alone was two days before, shopping for holiday bits and bobs (for him) in town (which included him buying a pair of 'Taz' boxers - yes, my now-husband bought underwear on our first day-date #keeper).

Hubs then flew to Ibiza for a week with two friends for a 'boys holiday'; we spent the first couple of days texting almost non-stop, which led his companions for the week to take his phone off him for the majority of the day, which my bank balance eventually thanked them for (oh the days when it'd cost you a bomb to text people in other countries)I figured two dates didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, and this boys holiday had been booked for months, so my plan was 'don't ask, don't tell'; however, I didn't find out until he got back that Hubs was already referring to me as his girlfriend to anyone he met (random fact: his apartment block in Ibiza was called 'Laura'; he couldn't escape me!). Hearing him refer to me as his girlfriend was scary. Whilst I liked him and felt like we could be good together, I wasn't sure I was ready to be someone's girlfriend, however, I went with it.

Why is this relevant? Well, with the benefit of 10 years of hindsight, not to mention the rings sparkling on my left hand, I think my casual, relaxed attitude to our relationship in those early months is the foundation on which everything is built today. It showed me that I could be relaxed and care-free (my previous boyfriend was crazy and jealous, which towards the end made me the same way #nevergood) and still keep the guy! It showed him there were girls out there that could handle his relaxed, uncomplicated nature (Hubby is the epitome of 'Keep Calm and Carry On - he's even been told that if he were any more relaxed he'd be horizontal). All-in-all, I think things could be very different today if either of us had had a different attitude to those early days, but, as they say, everything happens for a reason.

And now I've waffled on about those early days, here are some embarrassing photos of us from the last decade...

Our first photo together, in the days before selfies, celebrating my 20th birthday
New Year's Eve, 2004
On our first holiday together in Salou, Spain, 2005
My 21st birthday, Oct 2005
My (university) graduation, July 2006
Our engagement party, December 2007
A beach selfie in Spain, 2008
On top of the world Snowdon, 2009
A friend's wedding, May 2010
Our wedding, September 2010
On honeymoon, New Year's Day 2011
Hubs surprise 30th birthday party, January 2012
Fancy Dress, July 2013
Christmas, 2013
July 2014
Here's to the next decade of selfies, and beyond...
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment