Monday, 12 May 2014

dSLR: six months on...

I can't quite believe it, but six months have passed since 
I bought my beautiful dSLR camera.
Although I don't really feel like I've learnt much in these past six months, 
I obviously have...
This was taken the first time I took my camera out of the house, two days after buying it. The lighting
is so wrong and all over the place. I think I'd do better now :)

This was taken during the same outing; it's also way too dark!

I've practised with my camera almost every weekend
and I've read countless articles (#thanksPinterest) on composition, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, 
white balance etc and whilst things still aren't perfect, I'm getting there. I feel more confident when 
taking photos out in public and I feel like I have a better understanding of my camera's settings. 
I'm extremely proud that I have never used it in Auto mode and that since some point in January
I have been taking photos exclusively in Manual mode; I think this has made a huge difference
to the photos I've been taking - see what you think...

I'm also quite proud that I've managed to sorta master the bokeh technique, 
especially as I'm still using the kit lens that came with my camera 
My next investment is going to be either a 50mm or 35mm prime lens;
any suggestions on which one to get (I have a Nikon D3100)?

Over the next six months, I plan to use my camera each weekend 
and I hope to continue to improve in all areas, especially composition; I think investing in a new lens will help hugely towards improving my photography, although I feel like I should point out that this will always remain just a hobby for me; I can't imagine ever being paid to take photos for someone, especially during a big event, like a birthday party or a wedding - that's just way too much pressure!

Since the start of the year, I've been dumping some of my favourite dSLR photos at the end 
of each month on my blog; you can see them here here here and here :)

Anyway, that's it for today; have a great week!
post signature 

No comments:

Post a Comment