Thursday, 24 April 2014

Book Club: April

This year, I'm taking part in the majority of Bon's Book Club and today it's time to review April's book, 
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern...
Good Reads description:
"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. 

"But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance."

My Review:
I really, really struggled to get into this book, so much so that up until two days ago, I had read less than 100 pages. I've still only read 120 so I don't feel that I can contribute much to Bon's Book Club discussion, so I won't be answering her questions this time around :(

Admittedly, I've been crazy busy lately, with any spare time being spent decorating and re-organising the upstairs of my house, but that kind of thing doesn't usually stop me enjoying a good book, which leads me to believe this book isn't as great as the reviews would have me believe. I think the pace of this book is just too slow for my liking. 

I was excited to begin reading mainly due to the quote on the back of the book from Audrey Niffenegger, who wrote one of my favourite books The Time Traveler's Wife. Audrey said: "The Night Circus made me happy. Playful and intensely imaginative, Erin Morgenstern has created the circus I have always longed for... This is a marvellous book." What a great endorsement from one of my favourite authors, but what a shame the book hasn't so far lived up to its hype. I don't see myself continuing to read this book as I'm not someone who wastes time continuing to read a book I'm not enjoying (although I can count on one hand the number of books I've given up on, with no hope of returning to).

Sorry my review is so short - you can read everyone else's better and longer reviews here.
Next month's book is The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman, which I have been desperate 
to read for months - fingers crossed I get on better with that than I did with this book! 
Come back on Thursday 29th May for my review :)
Until then...
post signature

3 comments:

  1. I was the same as you, couldn't get in to this book, an nearly gave up. I should have, it really wasnt that great at all.
    Like you I am looking forward to next month's book and I hope we will have more positive reviews then! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never pay attention to what other authors have to say about the book, even if they are my favorite. It always ends up giving me high expectations! haha

    this book was definitely tough to trudge through, definitely wasn't a GREAT book

    ReplyDelete
  3. just randomly reading the link ups from last month's book club, so glad to see not everyone loved this book, like me!
    and i just had to comment because i absolutely adore Audrey Niffenegger, mainly of course The Time Traveler's Wife - and I picked up a book once that had her recommendation on it, and I was so disappointed. I have learned not to trust authors, lol.

    ReplyDelete