Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Laura Cooks: November

Blackberry Vinegar


The idea to make this recipe came about because Hubby loves blackberry vinegar on pancakes.
However, he has been a little upset for the last two Shrove Tuesdays because we don't have any,
nor have I ever been able to find any in the shops, so when we noticed some blackberries growing
wild in our garden in late July, I decided that I would have a go at making some of the
much-longed-for blackberry vinegar once they'd ripened...

I picked and froze our blackberries until I was ready to use them,
so the first thing I needed to do was defrost them overnight.

Then (in stages because we have small scales), we weighed out our defrosted blackberries.

We had 900g, so in a large bowl we mixed the blackberries and 700ml of white wine vinegar.
The 'proper' rule here is to use the same weight/ml of vinegar but we only had 700ml.
We left the mixture (covered with cling film) for three days.

After three days, we drained the mixture and threw away the blackberries.

For every 700ml of liquid, you need to add 450g of sugar.

Put in a saucepan, bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes.

Leave to cool and then bottle up.

Enjoy over pancakes :)

post signature
If you enjoyed this recipe, please pin or share via your preferred social media. 

1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing! I am not sure if I am a good enough cook to make it right, but It looks so delicious!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete