Friday, 26 July 2013

Visiting the 100 Aker Wood

I've been a fan of the Winnie the Pooh stories since I was little when my mum introduced me to the adventures of Christopher Robin and his friends. So, when I knew we'd be spending some time in Kent this summer, with Hubby's auntie, I knew I HAD to make the 130-mile round trip from her house in Hythe to Ashdown Forest in East Sussex, where Christopher Robin Milne spent his childhood playing with Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore, Kanga, Roo, Rabbit and Owl in the 100 Aker Wood. In reality, the 100 Aker Wood is actually a cultivated pine plantation called Five Hundred Acre Wood, located within Ashdown Forest.

[x]
Our journey started in the village of Hartfield (near where AA Milne lived and created this imaginary world) at Pooh Corner, where we purchased a map which showed us the locations of all of Pooh and Christopher's favourite places to play, including: Poohsticks Bridge, Galleon’s Lap, Where the North Pole Was, Roo’s Sandy
Pit and The Heffalump Trap, as well as The Enchanted Places Memorial Plaque.


After lacing up our walking boots, we began with an 'expotition' to Pooh Bridge...

Just before you get to the Bridge, there is this cute note from Winnie, stuck to the tree that he 
obviously calls home...

Pooh Bridge

No trip to Pooh Bridge is complete without a game of Pooh Sticks...
Ready...
Set...
Go!
And the winner is...
Hubby!
I was not happy :( I'm a sore loser

After getting over my disappointment at losing, we headed to Gill's Lap Car Park to begin 
our 'expotition' to the Enchanted Places. Firstly, we visited Galleon's Leap...

Then we walked on to The Heffalump Trap, which is a very deep pit, 
perfect for trapping an unsuspecting Heffalump...

We think we might then have come across Roo's Sandy Pit, 
although it's not very sandy so it's hard to tell!

We consulted the map to make sure we were where we thought we were...

We were on course, so we stopped for a moment to admire the view at The Enchanted Place,
where a memorial bronze plaque was unveiled by Christopher Milne in 1979,
commemorating the link between Winnie the Pooh and Ashdown Forest.

We then continued on, following the map across the forest, 
before coming to Where The North Pole Was...

After climbing a mountain hill in the heat, we made it to the top, 
to look out across the whole of the 100 Aker Wood...

We had a fantastic day; the area is so beautiful. Christopher Milne was a very lucky child to have been able
to play in such a stunning area and his father had a great imagination to be able to think up and send his
son on so many adventures with Winnie the Pooh and friends in the 100 Aker Wood. I would recommend
this fantastic day out to the young, as well as the young at heart!

Image from the 'Two Expotitions' map, which we bought from Pooh Corner.

3 comments:

  1. Awww this is so cute ^_^ I would love to go there, I'm a huge Winnie the Pooh fan even tho I'm 16 ahah I am a big kid :D Great post :3

    Emma
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Emma do not worry, I am 28 so it must mean that I'm an even bigger kid :) x

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos! Looks like you had a very good adventure!! x

    ReplyDelete