Saturday, 1 June 2013

Laura Cooks: June

It's that time of the month again and, as promised, I'm sticking to my oath to post a recipe once a month. So this month, I bring you: Vegetarian Chilli Con Carne.

This is a recipe I've been making for about a year now and it's evolved from the original recipe I found on the BBC Food website. I don't include bay leaves (I don't have these), garlic (this makes my chilli taste too much like bolognese) or cumin (I'm not a massive fan), so if you do decide to have a go at making this recipe, I would suggest tweaking it to add ingredients you like, removing ingredients you don't like and just making it your own.
Ingredients: mince, chopped tomatoes, chilli red kidney beans, onions,
pepper (an orange one is photographed but a green pepper is probably best),
chilli powder and 400ml of vegetable stock
1. Chop the onions and pepper. Add a splash of olive oil to a saucepan,
then cook the onions until soft.
2. Add the mince to the onions and stir. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until the mince browns.
3. Add some chilli powder and stir in.
4. Add in the tin of chopped tomatoes, followed by the chilli kidney beans.
5. Pour in the vegetable stock (the dark mass at the bottom of my
jug is the un-dissolved stock cube - I chucked that in the pot too).
6. Stir all the ingredients together. Whack the saucepan lid on and
cook for approx. 25 minutes or until it looks something like this...
7.  Serve - I had mine on top of yummy jacket potatoes, which cooked whilst the chilli was cooking, but you can serve chilli with wedges, with rice or with tortilla chips. 
I managed to get the above servings, plus a lunchtime jacket potato serving AND a serving of chilli and rice from this recipe, but as I said last month, my portion sizes are not the best, so you could get more portions out of this recipe. You can freeze this chilli into individual portions and defrost and re-heat as and when you want to eat it (it'll keep for about a month in the freezer) or you can keep it in the fridge for about a week.

This recipe also appeared in both of the magazines I write for:

Please do let me know if you make this recipe, and also feel free to make recipe suggestions on what recipes you would like to see over the coming months.


3 comments:

  1. Hey laura! I've been looking for recipes this morning so I can try and plan some meals for the week. This seems ideal, I need easy, quick, cheap recipes so i might have a go in the week. Have a fab weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Quick question though: we don't have mince here--is it the same as tofu crumbles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, Lara, I don't think so but I'm not entirely sure. You could visit this website to check though: http://www.quorn.com/welcome/ Good Luck x

      Delete