Monday, 6 May 2013

Laura Cooks: May

So now that the A to Z April Challenge is over, I don't want to return to my intermittent blogging of days past. One of my most popular posts during the Challenge was 'C for Cooking' so I decided that I'm going to try to share a recipe with you once a month. I received so many comments about the recipes I have under my belt, I figured I could share a few with you for the remainder of 2013 (and possibly beyond). So, my recipe for May is: Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup.

This soup is so easy to make. It has just four ingredients, which I chopped whilst waiting for my dinner to cook (on a boring Tuesday evening whilst Hubby was out playing five-a-side footie) and the most difficult part is chopping up the butternut squash (you'll need a sharp knife)!

You will need a blender of some description to complete this recipe. Alternatively, I think you could use a potato masher to 'blend' everything once cooked, but I have never tried that; if you do try it and it goes horribly (or wonderfully), please let me know :)

Ingredients: a butternut squash, an onion  & sweet potatoes,
plus 1L of vegetable stock.
1. Peel and chop up the ingredients.
2. Add a splash of oil (you can use a knob of butter if you prefer) into a pan, followed by the onions. Once soft, add the sweet potato and butternut squash; stir for a minute or so, before adding 1L of vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for approx. 45 minutes.


3. After 45 minutes, your soup should look something like this ^
4. Carefully transfer your soup into a blender (it may be hot - you could leave it to cool for a while), or use a hand blender directly in the pan, and blend all the ingredients together.
5. Serve and enjoy :)
You can freeze this soup in to individual portions and defrost and re-heat as and when you want to eat it (it'll keep for about a month in the freezer) or you can keep it in the fridge for about a week. I'm absolutely rubbish with correct portion sizes, but, for me, this recipe divided into the bowl above and three soup mugs.

Please do let me know if you make this recipe, and also feel free to make recipe suggestions on what recipes you would like to see over the coming months.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe! It looks good and I sure will try it someday (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only made Butternut squash soup but will add sweet potatoes in next time!

    ReplyDelete