Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Z is for Zoo (Australia)

Whilst on our honeymoon to Australia, we visited Australia Zoo, also known as Steve Irwin's Zoo, and we had an amazing day. It was SOOOO hot; our saving grace were the giant water mist machines randomly scattered about the Zoo - it was absolute bliss to stand underneath one and be lightly sprayed with cool water.

The animals at Australia Zoo are so used to visitors that they're very, very tame. This particular day was so hot and there were so many people at the park that these kangaroos didn't want to eat the food we were offering them. They were content to just lay in the shade - oh to be a kangaroo...

This little guy was heavier than he looks and I didn't expect him to have the claws he had; he clung to me and it was a bit of a struggle to get him off me after the photo. He was so sleepy though and felt as soft as the fluffiest, softest towel/dressing gown you've ever touched! His handler told us he was a four-year-old boy who had been so bad during his 'terrible twos' that they questioned whether they'd be able to use him for photographs - luckily for us, he calmed down and was a real joy.

There are so many animals at Australia Zoo and Steve Irwin's wife and children and all the staff there don't just want to make money; they want to help conserve natural habitats and raise awareness so we can live in harmony with these amazing creatures for many years to come. Visit the Australia Zoo website for more info.

Well, that's it, my last post for this amazing A to Z April Challenge. A huge thank you to everyone who has visited my blog and, to all the new followers I've gained, I hope I can continue to keep you entertained :) I've got some exciting things planned for the next couple of weeks, so watch this space...

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved Steve Irwin's TV show and I'd love to visit this place if I ever visit Australia. I don't think I'd ever dare to hold a bear in my arms like that though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Susanne, it was so cuddly and not at all scary. The little guy has long claws but they didn't hurt - I'd gladly hold him again, and bring him home, lol :)

      Delete
  2. Ah – so cute. I haven't been to Australia but you never know. Well done for finishing the A-Z. See you next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah,. we'll see, Sally, we'll see. It was good this year but I dunno if I could think of another theme - I guess I have 12 months to think of one :)

      Delete
  3. aww koala bear so cute! Congrats on completing the challenge!(what challenge? lol) woop woop ! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude, and he was a total cutie :)

      Delete
  4. It looks like a lovely zoo, how awesome to get to hold a koala bear too. Bet you have some great photos. I'm curious what you will be doing next? I have loved visiting your blog and appreciate you commenting on mine, hope we will continue to do so x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrwww thanks, Row. I'm a fan of your blog too and shall defo be visiting daily now that you've committed to the May Blog Challenge, although I am wondering if you're slightly mad - 2 months blogging everyday! Sounds like too much work for me. I am going to do a Reflections post today or tomorrow and I've got something big-ish planned for Saturday :) I'm going to try to blog twice a week from now on and have a bunch of ideas and posts scheduled, so the future is looking good :)

      Delete
  5. Cute photo! Congrats on finishing the challenge!

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should've dressed him up and pretended he was a baby so you could bring him home! Looks like you guys had an awesome time. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, I wish I had :) thanks hen xx

      Delete