Wednesday, 17 April 2013

O is for Onomatopoeia

Photo credit [x]
I'm not sure why, but Onomatopoeia is one of my favourite words.

Onomatopoeia: the formation of a word from a sound associated with 

what is named.


Onomatopoeia  can be a difficult concept to grasp, but it's basically a word which, when spoken, makes the same/similar sounds as the noise it describes, such as: plop, whoosh, sshhhh, clank, crash and pow! Old school TV Batman and Robin made great use of Onomatopoeia!

What's you're favourite word and why?

Find out more about the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge here

P.S. This is the first post using an altered layout which will allow me to post my photos in a larger format - I'm thinking ahead for the posts I have planned once the A to Z Challenge is over; what do you think?

8 comments:

  1. Ooh like the new layout laura! How do you get pics bigger out of interest, I've been trying? Fave word is kapow....I used to love batfink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rowena. I've changed the layout in preparation for after the Challenge :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE onomatopoeia! I was telling another author today how she needed to use it in her action chapter. (Though I may have misspelled it for how fuzzy-brained I'm feeling.) But favorite word... Hm. Cheese? Yup. I'm definitely going to go with cheese. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal. I love me a bit of cheese but, in my opinion, the word is a bit odd!

      Delete
  3. I've always loved that word! I also love the word "essence."

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essence is a good word, Kristen. There are so many good words that I wish I could incorporate into my daily speech, but I often wonder, if I did, if people would think I was being a dick, lol.

      Delete
  4. I love this word too! It just rolls off your tongue... onomatopoeia.

    Great 'o' word. Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete