Friday, 12 April 2013

K is for Kittens

Kittens at my local RSPCA centre (July 2012)
I would love to get a kitten. In fact, I would love to have a pet of any kind (growing up I had dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, fish and even a budgie), but both me and Hubby are out of the house from around 8:30am until 5:30pm everyday and I, personally, don't feel it's fair on any animal to be home alone for that long.

Even though cats are pretty low maintenance and independent, I was raised to care about animals and care about not just their physical well-being but also their emotional well-being too. The four cats that I've lived with in my life have been total fuss-pots - one cat seemed to always want fuss when you were reading the paper, so he'd head-butt the paper to get your attention - so I can't justify getting a kitten and leaving it alone for nine hours of the day. I have absolutely nothing against those pet owners that do (everyone is different and every circumstance is different), so please don't be offended by my opinion; it's just the way I am.
Tiny and extremely cute kittens at my local RSPCA centre (July 2012)
I will definitely get both a kitten/cat and a dog when I decide to have a baby though, which won't be any time soon!

Have you got any pets? How do you feel about kittens?

Find out more about the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge here

9 comments:

  1. Aww... kittens. I have two cats. One looks like the one in the top photo and the other looks like the one in the bottom photo.

    The head-butt makes me laugh. My cat always tries to come between me and my iPad (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're supposed to be so independent but can't handle it when we want to read and not stroke them :)

      Delete
  2. Those kittens are sooo cute. My mum recently got two kittens, bella and Lola, they are a handful! We didn't get our cat as a kitten, he was about 3? I'm saving him till the letter M so want say anymore. In the UK, we did leave him home alone for most of the day, although hubby often went back at lunchtime. He was quite happy with this, as long as he had enough food! The cat that is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did think about getting pets and checking up on them at lunchtime but as I want both a cat and a dog, we decided to wait. Pets are so rewarding though, aren't they?!

      Delete
    2. Yes they are, my cat is so demanding, he is a big softy though. He woke me up last night just for a cuddle!

      Delete
  3. I love cats, and I adopted 2 as soon as I moved to an apartment complex that allowed pets. They keep each other company, and sometimes I think they'd prefer it if I wasn't around at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, sounds like some of the cats I've known, Lara! They're fiercely independent creatures, except when you're trying to read lol.

      Delete
  4. I am exactly the same way! I now work from home, so I have a dog, and I've taken on a stray cat with the six kittens she brought with her. I care very much about their emotional well-being, and want them to be in a constant state of happiness. They're just little innocent babies that never have to grow up and get a job. They are completely dependent. Why shouldn't they be happy forever? :)

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to work from home :) I'd definitely have a whole farm of animals if I worked from home, lol.

      Delete