Monday, 8 April 2013

G is for Gerberas

Photos courtesy of Bill Haddon Photography
Ok, I will admit it, I have been really struggling with the letter G. Friends and family have made suggestions (Gym, Gardening, Grapes) but nothing really seemed to inspire me; that was until my lovely new friend (thank you A-Z Challenge), Rowena over at Designs by Row told me her 'G'; so in the spirit of a shared love for a beautiful yet simple flower, I am also using Gerberas as my G (I hope you don't mind, Rowena).

Gerbera: is a genus of ornamental plants from the sunflower family, named in honour of the German botanist and naturalist, Traugott Gerber.


I think these daisy-like flowers are really beautiful. They're so simple, so classic, so timeless, which is why I chose them as the main flower for my wedding. The photo above is of my wedding bouquet (beautifully done by my cousin, who did all my wedding flowers) and I really wish I had taken the time to steal a flower from it before it died so I could have it immortalised properly.

Another photo of my bouquet with a tiny section of my dress
- more on my wedding day later in the challenge :)
What are your favourite flowers? Which flowers did you chose for your wedding day?

Find out more about the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge here

14 comments:

  1. I suppose I should be ashamed of myself but I don't remember what I chose for my wedding day! It's possible I had white gerberas though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing to be ashamed of, Susanne. White Gerberas were my only requirement, I left all the other flower choices to my cousin and she did a great job but I don't think I could tell you what other flowers she used, oh, except white roses and lilies.

      Delete
  2. Those look beautiful for a wedding day (-: Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a beautiful bouquet; white is so simple and classic. My bouquet was deep red flowers, including some chocolate cosmos that smelled delicious!

    My favourite flowers, however, are forget-me-nots.

    coffintreehill.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angeline. Forget-me-nots are so pretty and delicate :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura, thanks for the mention...I have now updated my blog with G for Gerberas too. Your wedding flowers and peek of your dress look beautiful! How long have you been married for? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries chick, didn't want to steal your idea without crediting you for it :) I've been married for 2.5 years, what about you? You should check out my post today about my honeymoon :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful flower. I had a small wedding, and Calla lilies were the predominant flowers.
    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Silvia, calla lilies are another beautiful flower - very elegant!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful bouquet! I love the simplicity, and the lines. It reminds me a little of the planets in rotation. Very pretty.

    From A to Z, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite flower! :) Good post! :)

    ReplyDelete