Wednesday, 6 March 2013

My First IWSG Wednesday

BEWARE: Overly personal blog entry follows.

If you don't know what IWSG Wednesday is, head over to Alex. J. Cavanaugh's blog and he'll explain better than I ever could.

I've known about IWSG Wednesdays for a while but it wasn't until I came across this post that I decided to take part. I can TOTALLY relate to what this writer says about her writing insecurities having their own insecurities. I write for a living, but I rarely show anybody my personal writing. To be honest, I don't do a great deal because I'm paranoid about someone finding it and criticising it to the point that I don't want to do it any more; and I need to want to write!

But, today at lunchtime, I bought a brand new notebook. A notebook I'm going to use solely for writing my personal thoughts and feelings inside. I hope this will make me feel less insecure about my personal writing, after all, I spend seven hours, five days a week writing things for other people and no-one complains or criticises (well, not that often) or tells me I'm crap, so why has my brain decided that I am?!

I also hope that by writing down my thoughts and feelings on a regular basis that I will have more things to blog about. I get ideas every now and then and then I think 'but who wants to read about that?' 'there's bound to be a blog post about that already, and the current one will be much better than anything you can throw together!' so I don't bother. When did this happen to me? I've been working as a writer for over six years now, I studied at university for three years previous to that and I've never once been insecure about my writing so why now? I'm not sure if it's just an age thing, or if it's because I've started looking for another job (and therefore questioning my abilities regarding every prospective job/employer), but why-ever this has happened, I just want it to be over. I need it to be over!

Wow this has turned into a pretty long, personal post, which I'm sure none of you are actually that interested in; I'm sorry!

4 comments:

  1. IWSG is supposed to be about writing about you insecurities that you don't think anyone else cares about.

    All writers are afraid to let others see their personal writing, so keep in mind that you're in good company on that front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. This was my first IWSG - I'm sure I'll be able to write, in detail, about my specific insecurities soon :)

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of IWSG and love reading the posts. I just wish my positive posts I write wouldn't come to me at the wrong times. :)

    Love that quote, too, by the way! :)

    You might also be interested In a little group called #writemotivation. We cheer each other on over on Twitter, and sometimes we have blog posts to help too. Since I am writing my first draft of my first novel, I need some cheering and they are a great group, too.

    One word = progress
    Zero words = stagnation
    Deleting words = regression
    Don’t regret, progress.

    I have to keep reminding myself this with my first draft of my first novel.

    I'm stopping by today from the A to Z challenge. Congrats on signing up! Good luck. This is my first year with the A to Z challenge, even though I've watched it grow over the last 3 years. I'm also taking part in the Reveal. I'm trying to share some positivity with my #WriteMotivation friends on Twitter (and to help keep me positive in the process)
    Hope to see you around :)

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    http://writebackwards.we3dements.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jamie and good luck with the April Challenge - I've just announced my theme in case you're interested! This is my first year too but I have all but 8 post already written, that way I can blog hop without stressing about my own posts :)

      Delete